Monday, September 24, 2007

What's it worth to you?

One of the best things about the web is the adventure that following a few links can can start. I was reading the "From the Ground Up" blog, and checked out his custom cabinet maker (Eastvold). From Eastvolds site there are links to a Laurel Ulland a local architect that I have looked at before.

I really like a well designed house, but I don't think that I will be able to afford an architect on my house. Most architects cost between 7% and 15%. That is on the entire project. For my two projects that means a minimum of $70,000, but more likely on the order of $100,000+ While I value an Architect I can't part with that kind of money; of course when you compare it to a Realtor its an awesome value! I'm not even sure that I want a builder! Their 20-35% markup seems like highway robbery! I understand they gotta eat, but maybe they could have hamburgers once in a while? On top of that several folks that I talk to wonder what the builder really does for all that. They had to spend significant time at the build site and every time the builder had a question they got a phone call. In my case I am working to be as educated as possible in regards to all phases of the home construction so at least if I do hire a builder I will be able to look over their shoulder and make sure they are earning their money.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: