Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A rose is bueatiful because...

As I look more and more at others house designs I find it very interesting that you can just tell good design from bad. In our neighborhood there are four builders.

One my wife and I look at and immediately we can tell its a house built by him. He always has some weird thing that is out of place on the house. For example a house with no curved lines on it except the front door; or brick columns on the porch and no other brick. He is also the worst kind of builder if he can save $0.50 on something he will. We recently went to a parade house of his and the back door would not lock because it was not plum...

There is another builder in our area and his houses take a long time to sell. I have not been in any but they all seem a little small. But if you look at pictures of his work and you can tell he has no idea of a cohesive design theme.

The third builder has nice simple lines and follows a keep it simple mentality. While I like his work and the quality looks good there does not seem to be much value. Less cabinets, less sq footage, etc.

The fourth builder seems to fall in behind the third builder in design voice, but has a lot better value. More features for less money.

I know I wont use the first builder, the second one I might consider if I did the design work, the third I think is a candidate but I would want to know where my money was going, and the fourth is a leading contender.

See if you can tell which is which:

Dave Alan Homes
Elevation Homes

Highmark Builders
Shane Homes


No comments: